For the marinade:
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- some salt and pepper
For the chicken:
- 3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (this would also be good with skin-on chicken)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped (I used halved grape tomatoes but I think the recipe is best with vine-ripened tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients and marinade chicken at least 20 minutes on each side (in the fridge)
- Cook chicken on medium high heat on one side for 5-7 minutes or until it reaches a golden brown color.
- Flip the chicken to begin cooking the other side. Right after flipping, heap all the onions and tomatoes on top, pour barbecue sauce on and season with some salt and pepper.
- Then place the lid on and cook on medium. I let it cook for about 5 minutes just like this then I mix everything together a little (leaving chicken directly on the heat on the bottom) and let cook for another 5 minutes on medium.
- Turn heat to low, move chicken on top of the onions and tomatoes (so it doesn't burn) then let simmer for another 15 minutes or so to let the sauce become even more flavorful.
Here are some pictures from throughout the process...
Step 5: move the chicken on top of the onions and tomatoes once the chicken isfully cooked. This way the chicken doesn't burn but the sauce continues to simmer and become more flavorful.