Giardiniera is key, if you like spicy. I think you could use it even if you don't like spicy because it cooks so long that the flavor is more prominent than the spiciness.
And you are going to need a crock pot.
- 4 lb (approximately) beef pot roast
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups beef broth/stock (or enough to cover the meat half way once in the crock pot)
- 1 jar hot giardiniera
- Sub rolls or hoagie rolls
- Season both sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- Place in your crock pot along with beef broth and giardiniera (pour all the contents of the jar of giardiniera if you like it spicy; strain out the oil and only add the peppers if you want it more mild).
- Turn crock pot to low and let cook about 6-8 hours (I say, the longer the better)
- Once cooked the meat will be so tender that you won't need to shred it; just fill up a sub roll and enjoy!