And then of course eating as much of that candy as fast as possible (even leaving her gum by her bed so that she could have some right when she woke up...and that is exactly what she did).
My favorite part...
Gwen is ready with the rhubarb. We made these Oatmeal Crumble Bites with Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam on top. I adapted the recipe from this breakfast food blog. It's a bit of a stretch to say it is a 'breakfast' item but hey, there's oatmeal! I would definitely recommend trying these out for breakfast or otherwise.
The oatmeal crumble part: (to make 12 muffin sized bites, I would double the crumble recipe but the jam recipe can stay the same)
Combine the following:
- 6 TB butter
- melted and cooled
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a big pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF
- Butter a muffin pan and fill each cavity a little over half way with the crumble mixture (if there is leftover, you can use to top).
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Now for the strawberry-rhubarb jam:
- 4 stalks, trimmed, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4-1/2 c. sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- the zest of a lemon
- a squeeze of lemon juice
Combine jam ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until bright pink and jammy, adding more sugar along the way if necessary.
Finishing things off:
- Top each crumble with a spoonful of the rhubarb. If you have extra crumble then sprinkle a little more of it and bake for another 8-10 minutes, until the oats are golden and the jam is bubbly.
- Cool for five minutes in the pan, then carefully scoop the cookies out with a spoon.
And lastly, here's Gwen making some of her signature funny faces...