I made some chocolate mousse for a little Valentine's Day dessert and oh my gosh...it was so good. It was my favorite thing that I have made in a long time. Making any mousse involves a few steps but it is so worth it. I followed a recipe from foodnetwork.com...
The Recipe (also found here)
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate by adding to a bowl placed over simmering water and stirring until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, 4 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 cup heavy cream and a pinch of salt in a medium 2-quart curved bottom saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture is thick, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the chocolate and vanilla.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl using a fine mesh sieve and place in the refrigerator until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the remaining 1 cup heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the chilled chocolate.
- Divide the mousse evenly among 4 individual serving dishes and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.