Saturday, August 4, 2012

Chicken Tacos


These are really good! It's all about the sauce made from an interesting combo of ingredients that I wouldn't think to put together like OJ, chipotle peppers, cilantro and mustard. I saw this recipe on America's Test Kitchen (I love PBS cooking shows!) but I'm too cheap to subscribe to the website to get the recipe so I googled it and found it from some random blog. And now I just need to write it down myself so I don't forget it. I mean, that's actually the point of me writing out all these recipes...I tend to make something once, love it, then forget about it unless I record it in some way. Anyway...


The Recipe:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 12, 6-inch flour tortillas
  • For serving: grated cheese, shredded lettuce (I used spinach), chopped tomato, diced avocado, sour cream

The Method:
  1. Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and chipotle peppers and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in orange juice, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup of the cilantro.  Bring to a boil.
  2. Add chicken and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through and registers 160 degrees, about 10-15 minutes, flipping chicken half-way through cooking.
  3. Remove chicken from sauce mixture, transfer to a plate and set side, tenting with foil.
  4. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until sauce is reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard.  
  5. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces.  
  6. Return chicken to the sauce. Toss with remaining cilantro and toss until well-combined.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in tortillas with desired toppings.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...