Thursday, May 30, 2013

Back to Food...

I realized that I kind of stopped posting my fave/own recipes. I don't know why because I haven't stopped cooking. In fact, I have made many blog-worthy dishes lately, many that I wish I had written down. Here are a few that I want to remember.

 A muffin and a biscuit...
 I like making food for Lucia. Store bought food tends to lack options and then gets boring. Plus, not always so healthy. I like to have food on hand too since Lucia eats fast, like double-fisted-get-it all-down-as-fast-as-possible kind of fast. 
These two recipes fit the bill.



Cheesy Corn Biscuits


The Recipe (basically from the side of a can of corn)

  • 1 can corn
  • 2 cups Bisquick/pancake mix
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar and queso fresco)
  • pinch salt


The Method
  1. Mix ingredients until soft dough forms
  2. Drop dough into biscuits on parchment lined baking sheet
  3. Bake for 8-10 minutes in 450 degree oven

I give them to Lucia plain but for us I made a scallion, Parmesan butter to schmear all over it. Definitely worth the extra effort.



Oatmeal Yogurt Camping Muffins

The Recipe

  • 2 1/2 cups oats
  • 1 cup yogurt (I used peach flavored, but if you use plain yogurt then just add some sugar to sweeten)
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 2 mashed bananas
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda


The Method
  1. Combine yogurt, apple sauce, bananas, baking powder and baking salt
  2. Add oats and fully combine
  3. Pour into muffin tin
  4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or a little less if making mini muffins)

The reason I call them camping muffins because they were my ingenious solution to Lucia wanting to eat first thing in the morning when camping last weekend. And it worked well! (besides the shrill screams when I would leave the tent to go get them). I thought they were not the best tasting muffin I have ever eaten but who cares...Lucia loved every last one of them and they're healthy. Check and check. You could use 2 eggs instead of apple sauce but I prefer to not have to worry if the muffins are fully cooked when I leave them soft for easy eating (plus Lucia reacts to eggs).


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...