Thursday, June 14, 2012

Simple Egg Dish

I have been tweaking this basic egg casserole recipe so now I need to write it down before I forget it! We always seem to end up with lots of eggs and this is a great way to use them up (breakfast for dinner, anyone?). And very versatile, I just use whatever veggies I happen to have...there is an endless list of good combos. Oh, and that beautiful pink jam is my homemade rhubarb-strawberry jam, yum! (recipe found here).


Recipe:
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/3 cup half and half (plus a splash of milk for good measure)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
  • veggies/meat (this time I used bacon, red pepper, onion and mushrooms)

Method:
  1. Whisk eggs, add half and half (and milk). Add salt and most of the cheese, set aside.
  2. Bake bacon (my method: place bacon on foil-lined baking sheet. The baking sheet needs edges to catch the grease. Place in cold oven, turn oven to 400. Check after 20 minutes but keep on baking till desired crispyness.) Allow to cool.
  3. Saute onion, red pepper and mushrooms in olive oil for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool.
  4. Add bacon and veggies to the bottom of a buttered casserole dish, spreading evenly. Pour egg mixture over veggies and top with the rest of the cheese.
  5. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes or until top is browned.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...